Pages

Friday 15 April 2016

Vellum Circles

Christmas Card with white and gold vellum circles and sequins

Another week, another 52 Christmas Card Throwdown Challenge. It's a colour challenge this week, white and metallic gold.


52 CCT Colour Challenge - White and Metallic Gold

It's an easy challenge in some ways, it's obviously Christmassy, but then you have to narrow down the options, and try to find something interesting to do.

I tried to get my card done early this week, as I've been away at my mum's since Wednesday - I nearly managed it!

I decided to use a pack of vellum sheets, with gold Christmas patterns on, that I've had for ages. I selected sheets with small designs on, some were mostly gold, some mostly white. Then I cut circles (again - must do a different shape at some point!) with dies. As the vellum is so thin I could cut through all the sheets at once, so it was nice and quick.

I then arranged them over the card - I was trying to achieve a bokeh type effect, using translucence on the vellum where they overlapped.


White and gold vellum circles over a white vellum background

The first layout was on a white background, with another sheet from the vellum pack. It didn't quite work, so I tried a gold background - which I liked better.


Gold card square with gold vellum circles covering it

I started with a layer of the more gold circles, attached with glue dots...


Christmas Card with white and gold vellum circles overlapping the edge

...then added the white circles over the top, overlapping.

You can see I also added the word "Joy" to one of the circles, to give a focal point. I stamped in gold pigment ink then heat embossed in gold.

I thought about leaving the circles overlapping the edge, but in the end decided to trim it back.


Christmas Card with white and gold vellum circles

This is where I got to on Tuesday night, before coming away. I like it, but have the usual issue with vellum or parchment, that the glue dots show!

So, I scoured the local shops here in the New Forest for something to add. I was going for white gems, but didn't find any big enough. So instead, I got gold sequins - maybe not what I'd have used at home, but actually, I quite like the effect - adds to the glittery, out of focus feel.


Christmas Card with white and gold vellum circles and sequins

Christmas Card with white and gold vellum circles and sequins


I'm not sure I've quite pulled off the bokeh effect, but I'll live with that. I think the design is attractive nonetheless, a bit different but undeniably Christmassy. Maybe one for a man's card (despite the sequins!).




4 comments:

  1. Brilliant! You certainly have pulled off the bohek effect and I love it (might have to CASE this too). Great take on the colours. So elegant. Thanks so much for playing along with 52CCT this week! Deborah, DT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you can see the bokeh in it! And I'm glad I tried something different, keeps me on my toes. Now to think about my foliage card for next week!

      Delete
  2. Très belle et très originale cette création Lucinda, l'effet est réussi et le resultat très chic, merci de jouer avec nous chez 52cct, biz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci Fabiola, je suis heureux que vous pensez qu'il avait réussi, merci de commenter.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I really appreciate hearing from you, and try to respond to every one.

Lucinda