We have a technique challenge at the Christmas Card Throwdown this week.
This was new technique for me, I watched a few youtube videos to get the idea. I loved the effects I saw, I didn't do so well with replicating them. This week's cards are not my best, but you have to have a go!
I started by making my backgrounds. I took an A3 sheet of watercolour paper, and added brushos - turquoise, ultramarine and a bit of purple. (This may have been part of my issue, I'm not sure watercolour paper was the best choice.) The first photo shows the sheet whilst wet.
This is what it looked like after drying naturally, a bit more muted.
I cut it into sections to fit onto card blanks, and then tried the embossing.
I started with my spellbinders tree die. I dusted with an antistatic bag, then tapped all over with versamark. I placed on the card, then onto a tan embossing mat and ran through my grand calibur. I had to experiment a bit with the plates - the blue and pink were a bit thick, so I used the pink and raspberry, with two layers of thick card. It depends a bit on the dies used.
Once run through the machine, the die design is embossed into the card, but not cut. I then sprinkled on silver embossing powder, to stick to the versamark from the die, and heat embossed. This should give a fine silver line - very delicate and pretty. In my case, it was a little patchy and didn't really show very well.
I had another go, changing my plates and being sure to add plenty of versamark. I used a Tattered Lace "Merry Christmas" die this time. This one came out better - I used fewer layers in the sandwich this time, so shallower embossing seems better. It's not the easiest thing to photograph!
My next piece used a Tattered Lace reindeer die, then I added snowflakes around the outside (I added each separately.)
I had another couple of goes with the tree, and different embossing powders - this is an violet pearl.
This is a white powder. Neither came out well, maybe the tree die just isn't a good one to use, although I love the design.
I finished off the Merry Christmas and Reindeer pieces. I painted the embossed areas with ultramarine brusho and water, to bring out the design, then went over them with clear sparkle pen.
I added chipped sapphire distress ink round the edges, and mounted on silver mirror card.
Not my most polished cards, although I love the backgrounds. The reindeer could do with something else I think, and maybe some white pencil to bring out the reindeer's chest, it's on a dark area of background. It's a pity, as this technique can look so beautiful. I think next time I'd try it on smooth card instead, and be careful not to emboss too deeply.
To join in with the challenge (I hope I haven't put you off, please learn from my mistakes and do better!), head over to the Christmas Card Throwdown. You have until Friday 1st September at midnight BST to enter.