Pages

Saturday 18 January 2020

Alternative gifts


Andreja's theme challenge at 52 Christmas Card Throwdown is 'Gifts"


I had a rummage through my stamps for this one, and found a wooden block stamp of a tower of presents - probably acquired at a charity shop at some point.

I used this with black archival to cover my card to start my background.


I love this as a pattern.

My next step was to stamp three large presents from a set, and heat emboss in gold.


I then spritzed with blue and purple, then spritzed water to encourage them to run down the card. I wanted the embossing to act as a resist and barrier, so the colours pooled.


This was the first attempt, while wet - I love the different shades! But... can you see where I mucked up the stamping in versamark and it's acted as a resist as well?

But I liked this enough to have another go, and got my stamping right this time!

However, I then fell out with it completely - I didn't like the big presents, the background shows through too much, it just doesn't work!

But I did like the background, and I hate waste. So, I cut the top and bottom away from one of the sheets, tore one side, and made a reverse panel card. (I don't know if that's a real thing, but hopefully you can see what I mean.)

I cut a sentiment and present from black card (the gift is a Tattered Lace die, the smaller of the set). Using the silhouette left where I'd cut the gift, I marked and cut out white card to go behind the gift so the background didn't show through the swirls.

Then constructed on a 6x6 card blank, and edged with a black sharpie.




I'm really happy with how this has turned out. I love the background, I think the repeated gifts look great and the colour is gorgeous.




Over to you - how will you make a "Gifts" themed Christmas card? Please share with us on the 52CCT blog - you have until Friday 24th to join in.

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you, I love the effect, I'll have to see what other stamps might work for this x

      Delete
  2. magnifique Lucinda, quel superbe fond pour un résultat moderne et classe, biz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci, je l'ai trop aimé pour le jeter x

      Delete
  3. oooo, how many gifts! great background! xoxo AndrejaM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andreja, I love it too - can I use it for all my birthday cards as well?

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I really appreciate hearing from you, and try to respond to every one.

Lucinda