Pages

Saturday 12 September 2020

Mixed Media Christmas

 


It's a colour challenge at the 52 Christmas Card Throwdown this week.

Rosie has chosen for us:

 

My card has been inspired by a 5 day art journal challenge I did recently with Marjie Kemper. This is a version of one of the pages she taught.

The base of the card was cut to size for a 6x6 card. I then die cut over the edge with snowflakes. Cutting part way was tricky - and I couldn't get my head around which way to put the plates! I got the first version wrong - and as you can see, partially cut into the wrong side of this one.

As I had to add a strip to cover this, I could have cut the snowflakes separately and stuck them on - ah well, I'll know for next time!

I then embossed the rest of the card with a script folder.


I painted the snowflakes with gold paint, and dry brushed over the embossing.

 

This is the strip I made to go alongside the snowflakes - I used a border stamp. It's wooden stamp, so lining it up took a few tries - I ended up making a guide out of lego!


The next step was my topper. I blended orange shades of distress ink - spiced marmalade, wild honey, ripe persimmon and tattered rose - over my card.


 It was very bright! I splattered it with water and lifted some of the colour.

 

I stamped my tree with black ink, then went over with versamark (using a stamp platform) and heat embossed in clear.

The top left corner I embossed with a tile pattern folder, then dry brushed with black soot distress ink. I over stamped randomly with the same ink and a brick pattern stamp. I also edged in black sharpie, then heat embossed in clear.


To mount on the card blank, I cut the front panel of the blank down to size.

I also painted the back of the snowflakes in gold, and added a black strip at the back to give a neat finish.




 

I like the texture and shape of this mixed media inspired card. I needed something a bit different to make use of the unusual colour combination, I think this works well.

 

 

 

 

 

To join in with the challenge, visit us at 52CCT. I hope my contribution and that of my talented DT colleagues will help inspire you to make a black, orange and gold Christmas Card.

This challenge runs until Friday 18th September.

6 comments:

  1. A very original interpretation, Lucinda - you've balanced the colors very well and I love all the gorgeous shimmer and lovely details! Rosi x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rosi, there's a lot I'd do differently next time but it's all about the learning process!

      Delete
  2. elle est splendide Lucinda, biz

    ReplyDelete
  3. really beautiful mixed media greeting card. colors, textures and motifs complement each other beautifully

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andreja, it was fun to play with new ideas and products x

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I really appreciate hearing from you, and try to respond to every one.

Lucinda