I'm getting behind with my blogs a bit, only getting the Christmas Card Throwdown ones posted at the moment - I'll have to have a catch up at some point, there's a really big project I want to share!
In the meantime, here's the new Christmas Card Throwdown challenge:
I don't have anything that would pass as a nutcracker, but in my "12 days of Christmas" set I have a drummer, who makes a lovely Toy Soldier.
I started by stamping him four times onto scraps of card. The outline isn't particularly clear, he needs to be coloured. I used distress markers in barn door, stormy sky, black soot and mustard seed.
I cut them all out with different dies, in different sizes.
To get started with the background, I cut stencil card to size and placed it under the Clarity harlequin stencil. I brushed over fired brick first, then moved the card and used salty ocean. For the final layer I used antique linen.
My camera doesn't focus well on the pattern!
As I liked the waste piece so much last time I did this type of pattern, I made sure to use a clean paper underneath!
For a sentiment I cut another piece of card with a die, and added "Happy Christmas" with a Clarity stamp.
I used a Sheena texture stamp and watering can archival ink to add detail to the soldiers and sentiment.
I used the same on the background, and added red around the edge.
At this point I got a bit stuck! Some cards just come together, others make me work for it! My mum is staying with me at the moment, and we were both standing over it at 11pm, trying different ribbons, colours, arrangements.
Having slept on it, we came up with some ideas! This is where we went.
I added a Clarity holly corner stamp to the background, with salty ocean.
I then used an embossing folder as well - I'm not sure where I got this one, it may have been from a magazine.
The background is now much more interesting!
I added antique linen round the soldiers.
I also added little holly leaves on the sentiment, in blue and red, to tie it in.
I added ribbons on the background. I've just sorted out my ribbons, I got a ribbon organiser from Stamps Away last year, and I finally put it together. My ribbons are now all neatly wound onto the hangers, it's very pleasing!
I mounted the soldiers and sentiment with 3d glue gel. I made a matt layer, with salty ocean distress ink, and mounted onto a 5x7 card blank.
It took a bit of trial and error to get this to card to work, but I'm pleased with the final result.
To join in with the challenge, go to the Christmas Card Throwdown. You have until midnight BST on Friday 30th June to enter. I look forward to seeing what you do with our theme.