Pages

Saturday 17 July 2021

Alternative pinecones


At 52 Christmas Card Throwdown this week, Andreja has chosen a theme I really like - pinecones.


I had only two options for this from my craft "collection" - a mini stamp from Lavinia stamps, and a die. So I decided to use both!

My two cards are very similar, and use a design I've used before, but have very different colour schemes, made in different ways.



The green and brown version started with a smoosh using the plastic folder technique, and oxides in iced spruce, weathered wood and bundled sage. I made another piece in brown shades.

I overstamped the greeny background with the pinecone stamp and the same oxides, second generation.

The brown background I cut to a matt, then die cut the pinecones and sentiment from the centre and offcuts. The sentiment I sponged with some extra walnut stain distress ink, so it was dark enough to stand out, and the matt I did the same with brushed corduroy. I use distress ink rather than oxide as it's translucent so the mottled pattern shows through. The pine cones I left with some white on. I edged the card front with the iced spruce.



The base of this card uses alcohol inks. I applied them to a solid stencil (I used an aperture stencil with the innie replaced). I then used the grand calibur due cutting machine to transfer the ink to card with blending solution applied to it.

To overstamp, I used archival inks this time, in matching colours.

I did make a background piece using mushroom alcohol ink, but it didn't stand out on the bright background, so I swapped in some black coated card, again die cutting the sentiment and pinecones from the centre.




This has turned out to be a very pretty, naturalistic card. The pinecone stamp makes a great pattern in the background, enough detail to be interesting without being overwhelming.








This one, on the other hand, is deliberately unnatural. The colours really zing, they may not be that Christmassy but they're bright and cheerful, and lift my spirits.

 

 

 

So, now over to you - what pinecone themed design will you come up with?

The challenge is open for a week, until Friday 23rd July. Pop along to the 52CCT blog to see the rest of the design team inspiration, and link up your card.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I really appreciate hearing from you, and try to respond to every one.

Lucinda