Pages

Friday 23 October 2015

The Wild Woods


Collage Christmas card with trees


52 CCT badge - the wild woods

The theme is the wild woods, inspired by John Rutter's Wild Wood Carol.
I struggled a bit with what to do for the challenge - I had a lovely picture in my head for a moody woodland frame with shy deer in the centre, but didn't have the stamps and so on to make it! 

So last night I came up with this as a bit of a last minute entry. It has the benefit of being quite simple to make, so I could repeat it for more cards, and there are numerous possibilities for variations on a theme. I'd like to do a lilac and silver sparkly version.

I used the collage Christmas tree stamp by ClarityStamp and a wooden block fir branch stamp I bought in a charity shop. I measured these and cut card to size, then worked out what size the middle piece needed to be.

I used antique linen distress ink to age each piece, then stamped the tree in burgundy, with snowflakes in the background in antique linen. The branches were stamped in bundled sage distress ink, then I added a small snowflake as a bauble in gold embossing powder.

The holly sprig was stamped in vintage photo distress ink, then I painted it with burgundy and bundled sage inks.

I edged the separate pieces of card with maroon, green and brown sharpie pens, then mounted them onto gold card.

The next step was to choose a colour to matt on to - festive green or warm brown?


Collage Christmas card with green background
Collage Christmas card with brown background

I went for brown, then aged a larger piece of white card with antique linen for another layer. To get my layers even I used a perfect layers ruler, the 1/4 inch side.


Perfect layer ruler to get even layers


So that's the finished card, a collage tree theme in traditional festive colours.

Collage Christmas card with trees

Collage Christmas card with trees












8 comments:

  1. Really lovely! I love your collage of festive foliage - very effective. Thanks for joining us at 52CCT, April x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you April, I'm looking forward to trying other variations.

      Delete
  2. I like your take on the challenge - the collage layout is very effective and it has a super festive look. Thanks so much for playing along with 52CCT this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Deborah. It turned out more festive than I was expecting, but in a good way!

      Delete
  3. such a classic Christmas card - thanks for sharing it at the 52CCT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tanya. I think I'll be playing with my foliage stamps a bit more before Christmas is done!

      Delete
  4. c'est très élégant et moderne Lucinda, un bel effet graphique pour un noel chic, merci de jouer avec nus chez 52CCT, biz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci Fabiola, je suis heureux que vous l'aimez.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I really appreciate hearing from you, and try to respond to every one.

Lucinda