Pages

Saturday 25 July 2020

Stitched Snowflake


Fabiola's last challenge as host at 52 Christmas Card Throwdown is a technique challenge, and she's chosen sewing.



My card was inspired by a technique from Splitcoaststampers, which I've put my own spin on.


I started by raiding my stash of backgrounds for a suitable blue, I wanted a bright, solid colour. This is what I chose.



It has flecks of gold in it.


I then stamped a snowflake onto scrap paper.



This is a great new stamp set that lets me create multicoloured snowflakes, but I used it a different way today.


I fastened it over the blue background, then pierced holes through the snowflake to give me a pattern to sew into.



This is the back of the background, you can see the pattern in the holes.



And then I embroidered the card with needle and white embroidery thread. This wasn't a quick task, and a bit fiddly to find the right holes, but didn't take a long as I feared.



This is my focal point, which I die cut with a stiched edge square die - all kinds of stitching, faux or real, are fine for this challenge.


To make this into a card, I cut sections of other blue, snowflake themed backgrounds from my stash, and arranged them together. I edged each in grey and drew on faux stitching with a grey pen. I stamped the word "snowflakes" on a scrap and edged that in the same way.


Finally, I stamped a small snowflake onto a scrap of paper and used that to pierce through the card and add small snowflakes or stars, embroidered in pale blue.




This is a bit of a different card for me, but it turned out really pretty. Partly due to the delicate embroidered snowflake, and partly drawing on the variety of themed backgrounds I found.






To share your version of a sewn card, head over to the 52CCT blog. This challenge is open until Friday 31st July.



6 comments:

  1. Lucinda I love your snowflake and your choice of colors.
    Have a nice weekend, Majda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Majda. I love frosty blues so had quite a choice from my stash.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you - not a quick and easy card, I won't be making loads of these! But fun to do x

      Delete
  3. Très joli design Lucinda, différentes texture et une jolie broderie, biz

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I really appreciate hearing from you, and try to respond to every one.

Lucinda