Pages

Saturday 1 August 2020

Holly hexagons


As we enter August, Andreja is our new host at the 52 Christmas Card Throwdown.

This is the sketch she has chosen to kick off the month.


For this, I created two backgrounds. For one, I sponged weathered wood distress ink over the background, then over stamped in the same ink with a script stamp from IndigoBlu.

For the other, I stamped with the script and a hash stamp, also IndigoBlu, in weathered wood ink spritzed with water.

I did take photos, but they are completely blurred!

I cut the darker one to size for a 5x7 card blank, and then cut 4 hexagons and a strip for the side from the other.


To decorate the hexagons, I used a very old red rubber holly stamp that I love. I used versamark, and added platinum embossing powder. While that was still hot, I added a gold glitter powder, to give a touch of glitter, and melted it. I don't usually like glitter but fancied it here.

I then found a turquoise and gold embossing powder mix that I'd made up ages ago. After edging the hexagons with black archival ink, I used this to edge the hexagons and to add hatches with a scrapping tool.


I did the same to the strip, but then decided it was too much. So I cut another strip and recreated the background and hatches, and added the holly in second generation weathered wood ink. That was more balanced.

The script in the background was too prominent for me, so I tried blending more ink over it. When that didn't help, I spritzed with water and blotted. Which worked, but left the background too pale. So I added faded jeans distress oxide to my blending mat and brayered it out, then spritzed and dipped the card into it. Much better!

I used one of the offcuts of the background (before the added colour) for the sentiment, I embossed in the platinum, without the glitter.

The final touch was to add a little of the faded jeans distress oxide around the edge of the strip and the hexagons with my water pen. This gave a depth that somehow made the card come together.

This was meant to be a quick and simple card, but all the heat embossing, not to mention redoing parts of it, meant it took a while.


I can't pretend this is my favourite card ever, but I do like this colour combination, and the hexagons.


For more inspiration and to join in with our sketch challenge, pop over to the 52CCT blog. You have until Friday 7th August to enter.

8 comments:

  1. elle est si moderne Lucinda, ces couleurs lui vont a merveille, biz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci Fabiola, le bleu tendre et l'or sont une belle combinaison

      Delete
  2. So lovely. The little extras make this card. Stunner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucinda: hello, team-mate! I LOVE your card! What a wonderful interpretation of the sketch! Fabulous! Your card is elegant with a strong wintry feel yet has an artsy mixed media look with all the different inks and their techniques plus the glitter and embossing! Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Becca, glad you like it. I do often try to treat my cards as mini mixed media works - it's fun to apply different techniques!

      Delete
  4. a simple (as in not a lot of "stuff" on it) design made such an elegant card! I have small stamps like that and I can never figure out what to do with them. heat embossing at different angles was perfect. this was a great way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Netta. I got this stamp YEARS ago, before I knew anything about stamping or what the possibilities are. It's one I keep going back to as it's so pretty and versatile, I've done whole backgrounds with it, or mixed it with others, or just added a corner!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I really appreciate hearing from you, and try to respond to every one.

Lucinda