Pages

Saturday 8 August 2020

Orange, green and gold


The 52 Christmas Throwdown has a colour challenge this week. Andreja, our host for August, has chosen an unusual combination.


I started this card in an online workshop with Angela Simpson (the details are here). So no progress photos but lots of finished photos as there's lots to see in this card layout!

I started badly by grabbing the wrong card (I was disorganised so didn't prep beforehand as advised!). Instead of Sheena's stamping card I used Centura pearl hint of gold. I only realised when I'd done my cutting and turned a piece over. Fortunately, it still works with the colour challenge! And looks quite good, it gives a Christmassy touch of shine.


For ink, I used archival inks - fern green and orange blossom. I also used a bright tangelo orange on one piece, then decided I didn't like it so put it away again. I also used versamark with platinum embossing ink (a pale gold I really like).


The stamps are mainly a lovely Christmas set from Crafty Individuals. I also used a border and a snowflake from other sets.


To finish, I splattered with slightly watered gold paint.


I left a space on the left as above and below for the message to be written.


The design papers are from my stash - I went through pulling out green ones I liked - I looked for orange as well but didn't find any!


I stuck the DP down and then realised I wanted to ink the edges - so ended up putting sticky notes under the edge to mask the base while I did them. It meant the edging was a lot heavier than I'd have liked, especially on the front where I used a sharpie. It was also a lot more work!

The green sheer ribbon to tie the card closed was the last step.


It was a fun project to make, building up multiple panels in the same style and with a limited colour palette, although more work than a simple card! It definitely is something a bit special to give, a lot of the group on the workshop made male cards, and special birthday cards.


To join in with our colour challenge and share your take on orange, green and gold, visit us at the 52CCT blog. This challenge is open until Friday 14th August. Have fun!

14 comments:

  1. I love this fancy card and fold. I am always on the look out for something different. it ended up working well for this challenge. very nice card. whoever gets this card should be honored for the amount of time it took you to make it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Netta, it is nice to have something different to a simple fold card isn't it? Although not sure how you'd display this at Christmas!

      Delete
  2. Such lovely soft colors. This card is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I'm always (well, usually) drawn to the sludgy colours rather than the brights!

      Delete
  3. quelle merveille Lucinda, elle est si élégante et magnifique cette carte avec ces tons doux et chaleureux, biz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh what a wonderful and rich card. How interesting it opens and there are gorgeous orange, green and gold details on all sides.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Goga, it is a bit of an unboxing experience! I'm sure you could tell a story with it if you gave it some thought.

      Delete
  5. Lucinda: hello, team-mate! I agree with the other teamies that your card is wonderful, elegant, magnificent, different, and amazing! The design structure of it is like giving the card recipient a treasure hunt to go on--how many terrific things can they uncover and discover???!!!! Marvelous way to conquer the color trio!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Becca. It was quite fun to make, too - and it would work great with a pocket for a token or something in the middle, as the "treasure".

      Delete
  6. Perfect and beautiful card, Lucinda. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martina. And simple when you break it down!

      Delete
  7. Fantastic card! love all the secret folds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andreja, I do too - I could get carried away adding more folds and pockets, it would become a book or journal rather than a card!!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I really appreciate hearing from you, and try to respond to every one.

Lucinda