Pages

Saturday 12 March 2022

When Plan A doesn't work, go to Plan B!



It's time for my second challenge choice hosting the 52 Christmas Card Throwdown this month.

The second week is always a colour challenge. This one was a pure indulgence - I didn't think about colour wheels or anything, just chose three of my favourite colours to play with.


My plan was to use acrylic paint on the gel plate, with a Clarity bauble stencil. That was a bit of a fail! The images were blurred and unclear, so not usable as they were.

However, with the failed prints, and lift off sheets, and brayer cleaning sheets, I had a lot of "collage fodder" in the challenge colours. And so this card rose from the ashes!

For a focal point, I stamped an IndigiBlu bauble with mixed media embossing powder, the sentiment is in the same powder. Looking at the photo, the bauble looks a bit flat, I think I should have torn the piece down smaller (too late) or added shading or some background - which I could still do.

Once everything was stuck down (on a base from a bit of junk mail, gesso'd), I went round each piece with purple, teal or grey inktense pencils to highlight the shapes and add depth. I used the purple paint round the edge, then a black ink pad. And finally some doodling.

This is an A5 card, I felt the proprotions worked better than a 5x7.

I have lots of "fodder" left, and a purple embossed bauble and sentiment, so may make a second version. I also remembered I have lint cloth dyed in these colours, so could add those for a more mixed media feel.




Gorgeously grungy - not how I'd envisioned these colours at all, but that's how it goes sometimes.






I hope you have fun playing with these bright and funky colours. Do visit us at 52CCT to check out the design team talent, and share your card with us.

2 comments:

  1. élégant et très moderne Lucinda, biz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucinda... what a brilliant technique so love the end result! Thanks so much for the invitation to guest design with you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I really appreciate hearing from you, and try to respond to every one.

Lucinda