Pages

Saturday 27 June 2020

In complete contrast...



Becca's final challenge choice at 52 Christmas Card Throwdown is:


In contrast to last week, this is out of my comfort zone, I don't usually do embellishments. But, that's not to say I don't have any - I have crates of things I bought on sales and for "maybe" and for mixed media.

I actually had a pretty clear idea of what I wanted to do for my cluster of embellishments, but not what to put behind to be embellished.

So, if I'm not doing my usual thing, I thought, why not pull out all the stuff I don't usually use and roll with it?

I started with design papers, and took the offcuts left from other projects in vintage Christmas patterns. I cut a thin card base to size and added the offcuts, rearranging until I liked them.


I actually stuck them down like this, but when I started to ink the edges with vintage photo distress oxide, I realised I wanted to do all the pieces, so carefully pulled them off again.


It's a small thing, but I think makes so much difference.

I then went through the aforementioned crates and pulled out everything I thought might go.

My centrepiece was to be a frame. I had various ones, but settled on a layered printed card one. It looked a bit, well, card like, so I added a layer of clear glaze. It then looked a bit plasticy so I added antiquing medium, which worked a treat. I also added more foam pads as the sides were sagging a bit.

I added an image from a design paper behind it. Then it was a case of arranging the other embellishments around it.

I had the metal words set from a sale - it was set 2 and I don't have set 1, so I have Merry but not Christmas. So I cut the word Christmas from the descriptive edging of one of my papers, and glazed it.

I also added sticker borders in a cross centred on the frame.

The embellishments are all adhered with heavy gel medium.

I added a swipe of cranberry ink around the edge for more definition, then done - mounted on a 5x7 card base.



A bit different for me - and definitely not a card to go in the post! The photo doesn't capture the warmth and cosiness I think this has in real life. I'm pleased with it, although I think the layered background is my favourite part!




To join in and play with embellishments, come and visit us at the 52CCT blog. This challenge is open until Friday 3rd July.

6 comments:

  1. Elle est superbe Lucinda, très shabby et cosy, je suis d'accord avec toi, ces cartes sont difficiles à poster car épaisses mais si charmante, biz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci Fabiola, c'est la sensation que je voulais créer x

      Delete
  2. Lucinda: FABulous keepsake Christmas card to treasure!!! Oh my! This is what I refer to as a display masterpiece! Excellent! Thanks for doing a tutorial and showing the beginning stages with the mix of paper scraps and then inking their edges--which does give it a vintage look. You've done an amazing layering with all your accents!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Becca - and thanks for the challenge to get me to do something different and use some of my embellishments and papers.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I really appreciate hearing from you, and try to respond to every one.

Lucinda