Pages

Saturday 20 June 2020

Snowflake bonanza!


Becca has given me a gift of a theme challenge at the 52 Christmas Card Throwdown this week!


Given that I've had snowflakes on my last 3 cards, and probably on the majority of Christmas cards I make, this was an easy one! The biggest problem was how to narrow down what to do.

Having done a simple card last week, I decided to go more mixed media this time.

I pulled out adirondack inks, in denim and sandal, for a change. I started with two stencils, one positive and one negative.

I also used a word stamp from a very pretty snowflake set. It's not something I'd use as a sentiment on a card, but I love it for background in this context.

I couldn't decide whether to cut this down to 5x7 or 6x6, so hubby persuaded me to make a second and do both!


Spot the cat paws in the background - my little boy likes to sit close by when I'm crafting!

I took each of these in different directions.

The portrait one, I edged with the denim, and stamped some small snowflakes round for a frame.

I embossed opposite corners with a snowflake folder (I realised I have at least 4) and added bronze gilding wax.


I die cut a big snowflake and a little one, both Tim Holtz dies. I inked the little one in denim.


I also die cut two snowflake sprays, and inked one with denim and sandal, and added the gilding wax too.


I got a green tinge where the inks mixed, but I can live with it. It looks very verdegris!

I didn't want to add a sentiment, but felt it needed a little more focus. I stamped just "Snowflakes" from the word stamp onto an offcut of the background, to place among the swirls.

I arranged the diecuts onto the card, and mounted on a 5x7 blank.




I'm really happy with how this turned out - for once I resisted the urge to fill in every area so have managed to leave some relatively open space.







For the square background, I wanted to do something different.

I used a snowflake frame stencil around the outside. I inked the stencil in denim, then ran it through the embossing machine. While the stencil was still in place, I sponged white gesso over everything to knock it back .


I used a polychromo pencil to add colour to the stencil frame as it hadn't taken everywhere - and gesso had leaked under in places too.

I stamped a "Let it Snow" sentiment in the centre. I used the denim first, but it didn't take too well over the gesso. So I restamped with dark blue stazon. I lined up the stamp by hand as I'd taken it off the stamp platform in between, so it wasn't quite spot on, but looks like a drop shadow so I quite like it!

I edged in denim then the stazon, and used a white gel pen to bring out the sentiment more, and to add dots around the card for more detail.

This one went on a 6x6 card blank.



This frame is so pretty, I forgot I had it for ages and have been wanting to use it since I rediscovered it. For me this card has a delicate, snow flurry feel.




I've really enjoyed making two such different cards from one background.

Whether you have an obsessive number of snowflakes in your stash like me, or just a single stamp, have fun creating your own snowflakes Christmas card. You can share with us at 52CCT until Friday 26th June.

12 comments:

  1. These really look like they are swirling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Very serendipitous, not planned at all!

      Delete
  2. Lucinda: Hello, team-mate! And you are welcome! Glad you enjoy using lots of snowflakes for your Christmas cards! These 2 variations you made are magnificent!!! I LOVE the mixed media and how you made it look like wind was swirling lots and lots of snowflakes around!!! STUNNING!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Becca. This was the perfect challenge for me. I realised I am a bit obsessed - but snowflakes are so pretty, and versatile. I can't have too many!

      Delete
  3. Superbe carte Lucinda, moderne et chic, plein d'originalité, biz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci Fabiola, j'aime faire quelque chose un peu différent avec les défis

      Delete
  4. amazing cards! I read how you made them! at first I thought it was just paper it came out so well!! perfect cards for this theme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Netta, that's quite the compliment for a background addict like me!

      Delete
  5. These are both amazing Lucinda! I loved reading about the different techniques you used on these cards. I do love a snowflake stamp too (although I'm definitely not in your league!!) Vicky x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vicky. I'm glad you enjoyed the post. My snowflake collection has built up over years so there's time for you too!! Thanks for visiting.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I really appreciate hearing from you, and try to respond to every one.

Lucinda