Pages

Saturday 2 May 2020

Grungy sketch


Tracy is our May host at the 52 Christmas Card Throwdown.

She kicks us off with this sketch:



I went vintage mixed media for this one. I took a lot of inspiration for this card from this art journal spread by Preeti D for the Lindys Gang blog.

The first layer is texture paste mixed with walnut stain distress reinker. I put it through two stencils onto card cut to size (for a 5x7 card base).



It really doesn't look like much does it? But I think the dark lines and stag give structure to the finished card.

While that dried, I die cut my wrap around pieces. I used a tag die for the kraft card, but didn't cut the bottom so I could extend. For the white card I used the tag top as a template and cut to size by hand but narrower than the kraft. These I ran through a knitted pattern embossing folder, then stained with distress inks. I used antique linen, then regretted it as it was too yellow. So I added browns and some weathered wood to tone them down.



Once my texture paste was dry, I added weathered wood distress ink to a band across the centre, and spritzed to diffuse it.



I ended up widening the band with a sponge before I completed the card.

I then added walnut stain distress ink around the edge.



At this point I stopped taking photos!

I used a variety of stamps in the background to add texture and layers (with archival potting soil ink). I also stencilled the trees and rings. I cut the piece down a bit and re-inked the edges, and created a mat which I inked with the weathered wood.

I die cut holly, ivy and a pine cone from kraft and white card inked in weathered wood and walnut stain. I stamped the two postmark stamps in archival, die cut out, then aged then with the same two inks. I added crackle glaze to give a contrasting finish to them.

The sentiments are from the Clarity occasions sticker pack, mounted on scraps of card inked in weathered wood. I aged them with walnut stain - I overdid the "Joy", which annoyed me.

I raided my embellishments box for a piece of hessian, which I pulled most of the threads out of to make it more see through, to go behind the wrap around and die cuts, and for the string to close the wrap around (although I stuck it down too).

I used a mixture of super sticky tape and wet glue to put this together, with foam squares to lift the lower post mark.




It feels like ages since I've done something mixed media and grungy like this. It's such fun building up the layers and working out what to add when and where. I love these colours together, such a classic combination.




To join in with this sketch challenge, visit the 52CCT blog. You have until Friday 8th May to enter your take on Tracy's sketch.

8 comments:

  1. Your card is so beautiful ! All that layers on background are special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andreja, I like this kind of stamping and stencilling to make patterns. The layers mean this is not a card to be posted though!

      Delete
  2. This is an amazing card and I loved seeing how you envisioned your card and made something beautiful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Sometimes it's fun to treat a card as a little art work!

      Delete
  3. This is absolutely stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. j'adore ta carte Lucinda, tu respectes le sketch tout en sortant du cadre, biz

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lucinda - this is simply stunning! You did such a great job, it's absolutely beautiful. You are soooo talented! I am in awe xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I really appreciate hearing from you, and try to respond to every one.

Lucinda