Pages

Saturday 24 April 2021

Just stamping


Branka's final challenge for April at 52 Christmas Card Throwdown is a technique - Stamping.



This is a great challenge and opens up so many options. I wanted to make a card with just stamping on it. I've been watching Lavinia Stamp videos recently, and did a workshop with Angela Simpson last weekend using Lavinia stamps and techniques, so they influenced these cards a lot.

For my background, I used a leaf shaped stamp from Clarity, and stamped in shades of yellow and green distress ink. I started with lighter yellows in the centre and got darker towards the outside. I repeat stamped until I had a full coverage.

I then overstamped in the same inks. I took two routes, to compare. One background I used other leaf stamps, one I used script and swirls for a less realistic look. I definitely preferred the latter!

My focal point is this lovely deer from Clarity, stamped in potting soil brown archival on one and gothic purple stazon on the other.

I then added the foliage. The trailing ivy stamp is from Lavinia, as are the mushrooms. The other foliage stamps are an unbranded set I got secondhand. I used distress oxides in more natural shades on the leafy one, and archival in blue tones on the script one. For the shadow to ground the deer, I used the script stamp.

I edged the cards in archival, in brown/blue.

They were lovely at this point, but not that Christmassy! The holly on the deer and ivy were not enough to make them festive. So I had to add a sentiment. I heat embossed to help them stand out, although I wanted them to blend in a bit. This sort of worked - they show up or disappear depending on the angle.





This was my second choice background, so became my trial card. The oxides are a bit dull, the foliage at the bottom a bit messy, and the sentiment placement doesn't work too well. All lessons learned!

Which is not to say that I don't like the card, I think it's very pretty and like the light in the centre.





But I am much happier with this version. The archival inks are more luminous, and I used less realistic colours which give a more mystical feel. The foliage is less busy, and the sentiment on the left is more balanced.

So I'm very pleased with this! And all done with just stamping (and a bit of heat embossing!)




I hope this has inspired you to have a go. For more inspiration check out the other DT cards at the 52CCT blog, then the link to share your card is at the bottom.

The challenge is open for a week, until Friday 30th April.

Happy crafting x

9 comments:

  1. Lucinda, how nicely you combined prints and colors. A wonderful holiday greeting card!
    Have a great weekend, Majda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Majda, it was interesting to just use stamping and see what I could create!

      Delete
  2. oh wow Lucinda, quelle jolie scène! biz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci Fabiola, je suis heureuse que tu l'aime.

      Delete
  3. SO beautiful, magical scene!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andreja, I was going for a bit mystical!

      Delete
  4. Oh wow! You have really inspired me! Stunning card!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny. Do check out Lavinia Stamps, they have loads of videos for beautiful projects on their website https://laviniastamps.com/video-page/

      Delete
  5. Wow Lucinda! You always amaze me with the amount of work and creativity you put into your cards, and this one is just wonderful - it's a work of art. Hugs, Gill x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I really appreciate hearing from you, and try to respond to every one.

Lucinda