Pages

Thursday, 28 January 2016

Candle in the snow


Christmas card in turquoise and gold with candle and snowflake background

It's a theme week at 52 Christmas Card Throwdown this week, and the challenge is to make a card featuring candles or lanterns.


52 CCT January theme challenge - candles/lanterns


I knew straight away which stamp I was going to use as I only have one that fits the challenge! It's a candle stick stamp from the ClarityStamp New Design Club - the first one I got when I joined last year. (I do have some chinese lanterns, but they're not really Christmassy, or I could make candles quite easily, but I went with the stamp.) A couple of other people on the challenge have used this stamp too for the same reason.

I started by stamping on Clarity stencil card in gold pigment ink, so I could see the outline clearly, then coloured the flame and candle stick with a versa mark pen. I then heat embossed with gold, giving a solid fill for the flame and stick, with the candle left white.


Candle image embossed in gold

I painted the candle with peacock feathers distress ink, and stamped a few sparkles in the background with the gold pigment ink.

I cut an oval frame from gold card, then cut the candle image to fit behind it. The base of the candle stick nested nicely onto the frame. I used foam pads to lift the frame above the image.

For the background I started with card a similar colour to the peacock feathers distress ink. Having admired an embossed background on another card in last week's challenge, I wanted to use one myself this week. I'd had an embossing folder in mind, but then thought to use the snowflake stencils from Clarity (another Christmas present).

I covered them in the gold pigment ink before embossing, then ran them through the Grand Calibur.


Turquoise background with snowflakes stencils


I repeated to fill in the last corner, then added gold mica powder, which clung to the pigment ink on the snowflakes. I love this effect, and the combination of the turquoise and gold.


Turquoise background with gold mica snowflakes


At this point I had a "learning experience". I thought I'd blend a little peacock feather distress ink round the edge of the background to edge it and tie in with the candle. However, when I did this, I wiped off the mica powder from the edge! Oops. Next time I'll know, colour the edges first. So I had to go over the snowflakes with versa mark end and add the mica again.

I had thought about adding a sentiment, but I like the background so much I don't want to cover more of it. I just added thin strip of the gold card as a ribbon, mounting that and the candle on foam pads, and more gold card as a matt behind (I meant to cut something out of the centre first to be frugal, but forgot!) then mounted on a 5x7 card base.



Christmas card in turquoise and gold with candle and snowflake background

Christmas card in turquoise and gold with candle and snowflake background














I wasn't sure how this would turn out, the image isn't one I'm particularly drawn to, but I do quite like the simplicity of it used like this, and the colour. But it's the background that really makes this card for me. It isn't exactly what I had intended, but I think it looks gorgeously rich and opulent.

9 comments:

  1. wow, really great job. Love it! :)
    Thanks for playing with us at 52CCT, hope you will join us again :) Kaja

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucinda, you made fantastic background and the card is so elegant :-))
    Hugs, Andreja

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andreja, glad you like the embossed background you inspired - although I guess it's really debossed, but close enough!

      Delete
  3. Lucinda, you made fantastic background and the card is so elegant :-))
    Hugs, Andreja

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very beautiful card - love your colours. Thanks for playing along with us this week at 52{C}CT- Jacqueline xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jacqueline. Isn't the turquoise lovely!

      Delete
  5. Stunning! I love that candle stamp. Thanks so much for playing along with our challenge at 52CCT this week! Deborah DT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deborah, glad you like it.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I really appreciate hearing from you, and try to respond to every one.

Lucinda