Pages

Friday 19 August 2016

Kraft, black and a touch of red

Christmas card on kraft card with black stamping and red holly berries

This week's 52 Christmas Card Throwdown Challenge is colours - red, black and kraft.

52CCT August colour challenge - red, black and kraft

Red and black aren't my favourite combination, so I struggled a bit to come up with something I wanted to make, until I turned it around to kraft, black and red. Because kraft I really do like!

This was a quick one, started around 8pm tonight, so no progress pictures. But it's a straightforward design, just two layers of kraft, on a card base made from an A4 sheet folded in half and cut down to a square.

The stamping is all black archival ink. The main image is from a lovely Hobby Art Christmas set. And I haven't used this scene before, so a tick for the "use something I've had for ages and not used before" goal. The background pattern uses the branches of a tree from the same set.

The sentiment is from a Clarity sentiments set. The first line is "wishing you a", but I didn't ink that up so I got a simpler version.

I edged all the layers, and the card base, with a black sharpie pen.

The final element is the holly sprigs. These are an old favourite stamp, red rubber on sponge, one of the first I ever got and I've no idea where it comes from! I stamped on some scrap kraft (from a first go at the main scene that went wrong) and fussy cut them out. I then added my minimalist touch of red, for the berries. I'd planned to use embossing powder, but it sank into the card and went dark. Fortunately hubby came to the rescue, with a tin of red enamel paint. The first one ran everywhere, we think it had been diluted at some point, but the second was perfectly gloopy, and has worked beautifully to give a little pop of colour.

I put the card together with foam pads to give dimension.

Christmas card on kraft card with black stamping and red holly berries

Simple and classic. The scene stamp is really lovely, with the flowery swirl below it. I'd like to use this again and try colouring it. Maybe I'll make the same card but with colour instead of kraft.

8 comments:

  1. Creative way to make the background on your wonderful, layered card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather, I do like finding different ways to use my stamps and to make patterns.

      Delete
  2. Lucinda, this is lovely! The kraft and black work perfectly together to highlight the vintage feel of the image, and the pops of red are a super finishing touch. Thanks so much for making 52CCT part of your crafting fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patricia. Sometimes the simplest combinations work the best. Although I am itching to colour that image in!

      Delete
  3. I think this is fabulous - the image is just lovely and I do like the touch of red in the holly berries. Thanks so much for playing along with our colour challenge at 52CCT this week! Deborah, DT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deborah, yes, I'm glad I got to use this stamp, it looks better stamped than it does in the packet. Goes to show you should try stamps out when you get them, not stick them in a folder for ages!

      Delete
  4. Fantastic Christmas card, Lucinda. - I love the large image and the background in black with just this hint of red berries at the corners.
    Thanks for your nice comment.
    Rosi x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rosi. It's given really vintage feel that I like. And you're welcome, your card is gorgeous x

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I really appreciate hearing from you, and try to respond to every one.

Lucinda