Monday, 18 September 2017
Live, Love, Laugh
The July theme at the Berkhamsted Creative Challenge was "Live, Laugh, Love".
I didn't quite get anything made in the month, but did make these bunting pieces while on holiday in August. And it's taken until now to blog them!
The idea of making the bunting is to use up some of the huge pile of backgrounds I have built up in my stash. I pulled out these three to use.
Let's start with "Live". The background for this was really intense, so I wanted to tone it down a bit. I used a white gel pen to draw cross hatches across large areas to break up and lighten the colour. It worked better than I'd hoped.
I then used cracked pistachio, broken china and vintage photo distress oxides, blended round the edges and applied though a dotty stencil.
I stamped the word with cobalt blue archival ink.
To finish it off, I scribbled round the edge with the white gel pen, and edged the words and some of the stencil dots.
"Love" was the easiest piece as the background was so pretty it did most of the work. It was made with purple, ultramarine and emerald green brushos, on watercolour card.
I simply edged the triangle with broken china distress oxide, then stamped the word in black archival and highlighted it with the white gel pen.
Finally, "Laugh". I used the rainbow background, made by smooshing distress ink with water between plastic sheets, then adding the card and pressing.
I wanted to add more texture, so tried out an idea on scrap card. Stamping with distress oxides and stencils. They are thick and creamy enough that it works beautifully, with a light spritz of water, and a bit of pressure through copy paper. You don't need an embossing machine like normal inks (which is as well as I didn't have one with me!)
I used the petite leafy swirl stencil from Clarity, and added colour in each rainbow colour to match the background.
As a bonus, I got this piece from inking up the stencil, which is now decorating my phone case!
I also blended colour round the edged of the triangle to frame it a little, again matching the rainbow colours.
I stamped the word "Laugh" using the Clarity alphabet and black archival ink. It wasn't a perfect stamp, and the spacing, that I'd wanted to be loose and free, was a bit too chaotic. The "a" gets lost.
I tied it in by tidying up the letters with a permanent pen, then edging with a yellow distress marker, then red distress oxide painted around with a water pen.
I'm still not happy with that "a", I might try to cover it with something else one day.
For a final touch, and to frame it more, I used a music stamp around the edge, stamping freehand without a block.
So, another three pieces of bunting for my shed. I used up some of my stash as well, although in this crafting session I made 5 more (not including the one that went on my phone) so I'm not sure I can call that a success!
Our current Berkhamsted Creative Challenge is "Celestial Wonders", do come over to Facebook to see what's been shared.