Pages

Thursday 31 March 2016

Every morning is a fresh beginning


I have finally made my entry for the first challenge of the Berkhamsted Creative Challenge! Just in time, tomorrow we announce the next theme.


This month's theme has been Fresh Beginnings; we've had some beautiful entries.

My sunrise picture started with Clarity Stencil card (7x7) and a torn paper mask, plus a sun mask, cut from a sticky note with a die.

I brushed over a little squeezed lemonade distress ink, including where the sun is so it's not too white, using Clarity Stencil brushes. I then switched to mustard seed, then spiced marmalade around the sun and horizon.


Switching the mask to the lower half, I applied mowed lawn distress ink at the bottom, then a layer of bundled sage, using a make up sponge to help define the hill, then iced spruce for the furthest hills. I also added a Hobby Art tree stamp, in black permanent ink.


Well done if you spotted that my hills changed from the first picture to the second - my first tree stamp smudged,so I started again!

The next step was the quote - I used the Groovi parchment system to write it out, then tore the parchment to mimic the hills.


The parchment has curled where I've embossed it, so has been under a heavy book for a lot of the afternoon.

For the background I tried a couple of approaches.

First I used a plastic folder, cut open. I put distress ink on the inside (mowed lawn, spiced marmalade and mustard seed to match the main image), spritzed it with water then put a larger piece of stencil card inside.


I repeated a few times, and got this bright and funky sheet.

I also used my gelli plate, applying the same colours with the brayer, then removing some ink with cling film or crumpled tissue.


I think both could work, but I went with one of the gelli plate sheets - the rest are added to the stash!

I cut the main image back, and edged it with a black sharpie, and did the same with the background. I folded the parchment and attached it on the back of the landscape.

To mount, I used black foam board. I cut pieces to fit behind both sheets, attached them, and attached the landscape to the centre of the background. The foam board is thicker than foam tape, so gives a nice height to the central image, and stiffens the background.



It has gone back under the heavy book to reduce the curl on the parchment (it may require a little glue dot if that doesn't work). But that's my take on Fresh Beginnings. For me, it's about warmth and optimism.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I really appreciate hearing from you, and try to respond to every one.

Lucinda