Here's my card - very last minute - I'll be back for the step by step later!
Clarity Challenge 38
Right, time to add the step by step!
I started with 7x7 stencil card, and marked out a square in pencil, 2cm in from the edge. I also marked the centre of each edge.
I could then use these marks to position the first stamp on each side. I used the petals from the butterfly and petal set, and black permanent ink.
Then time to cut the first masks from sticky notes. I'm glad they're a simple shape, I'll have a lot to do!
Once the masks are in place, I mark halfway between the stamp and the corners, and use this mark to position the second petal stamp, the flowers.
Eight more masks, then I can fill in the final stamp, the swirls.
Then eight more masks to cover the whole frame, and the outside of the frame as well.
At this point I stamped my main image into the centre of the card. I'm using the daydreamer stamp.
It didn't come out completely. I thought it was just me, but at the workshop last weekend I found out that the permanent ink I use, StazOn, is very quick drying so can be hard to stamp with. I suspect my pad getting dry too. So I'll treat myself to an Archival ink pad at some point.
I'd also like to try using this stamp with colour rather than black - one day!
I masked the central image as well, with a sticky note. Now I'm ready to start adding the colour. I used distress inks - mustard seed, picked raspberry and peacock feathers - with the stencil brushes.
Where the colours overlap I get orange, purple and green, so a full rainbow. The daydreamer stamp is so summery, these bright beach wear colours seem to suit it to me!
I wanted to grunge up the colour a bit, although I was a bit nervous about ruining it as at this point I didn't have time to start again! But I decided to go for it! I spritzed my blending mat with water, and pressed the card into it - with the masks still in place. I blotted immediately with paper towel.
It was quite subtle, but added a bit of texture.
Time to add some detail to the central image. I brushed a little green (made by mixing the mustard seed and peacock feathers) around the grasses and tree. I added a sun using a mask cut from a sticky note with a die. I used a blending tool, with mustard seed ink and a touch of spiced marmalade.
I decided I wanted to ink around the outside of the frame, so added the masks back. I used the same colours as inside, but reversed the positions.
Just the finishing touches remain. I used a black pen to outline the central square, and to touch up the stamped images where they were a bit faded.
I used a black sharpie to edge the card, then mounted onto an 8x8 card blank.
And as a bonus, here's the scrap that mopped up all the spare ink from my blending mat.
PS. After I'd posted it, I decided it needed a little something on the corners - so used a black pen again to add tassels.
With hindsight I could have gone bigger!