Pages

Saturday 20 May 2017

Turning yellow


It's time for my second challenge as host on the Christmas Card Throwdown. This one is a colour challenge (which I love!) but a really unusual combination to play with. 



This took a bit of thinking about, but have had lots of ideas, hoping to get one or two more cards made this week.

For my first card I CASE'd one of my favourite cards from last year (see the original here).

I started with an inky background, made with a plastic folder. I used mustard seed and squeezed lemonade distress inks, with some yellow felt tip pens. The first version was a bit green - blue contaminant in the folder from a previous project! After a clean I had another go, with some wild honey added. Looked good, but quite orange, so I left that out for the final version, which is what I've used.



You can't quite see the detail and variety of tones in the photo. This is the trimmed down card.

I cut a mount from kraft card, and cut the sentiment (using a Tattered Lace die) from the centre - I never usually remember to do this!



For the gold, I stamped around the yellow card with my old favourite rubber holly stamp, in versamark ink. I then added moon gold mica powder. I sprayed it with cheap hairspray (without all the conditioners) to fix it.



This photo is angled very careful to show the shine of the mica all the way round!

I put the card together (on a 6x6 card blank) using a tape pen, so it's flat for posting. I used a zig glue pen for the sentiment.



The insert and envelope I decorated with the same holly stamp, and gold pigment ink.


This is another one of those cards that is hard to photograph! I've tried to get the angle to show the holly here. It is quite subtle in real life. You could heat emboss to get a more striking result.



To join in with the challenge, post your entries at the Christmas Card Throwdown by Friday 2nd June, at midnight BST.

8 comments:

  1. What a brilliant way to use it for the colour challenge. You made a dorable card wiht cut sentiment :-)) Hugs, Andreja

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andreja. This sentiment is great, always a go-to die.

      Delete
  2. Don't we have trouble with photographs! I can see the shine though. I'm sure you use this die a lot, it's lovely and would make any card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really do! It doesn't help that I'm often doing them at night with no daylight. Have been dodging the rain this week to photograph a bigger piece outside! Glad you could see the shine of my lovely mica x

      Delete
  3. Your inked backgrounds are always so inspirational, Lucinda! This is a fab card! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks April - they're so much fun, I love them. Never know what you'll get!

      Delete
  4. C'est si élégant Lucinda, chic, classe, j'aurais aimé avoir la même idée, biz

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I really appreciate hearing from you, and try to respond to every one.

Lucinda