Pages

Saturday 11 January 2020

Autumn trees for Christmas?


Hello again, time for our second 52 Christmas Card Throwdown challenge of 2020.

Andreja has chosen an unusual colour combination for us!


I have to admit, I struggled a bit with what to do for this one - I love the colours but for sunflowers rather than Christmas.

I wanted to use a tree die set by Tim Holtz that I got for Christmas, so decided to play with my brushos, which are always fun! They are sometimes not the best for colour challenges as they have so many different colours in them, but I thought these might be okay.

I die cut the trees, and spritzed water through them, then lifted and sprinkled on the brushos (yellow, lemon and dark brown). I used Sheena's stamping card as it takes water really well.

But there was a lot of orange in them, and when I spritzed again to disperse, I lost all definition.



Even to put a die cut over, these don't really work. But I think to use in an aperture, or die cut, these could be great.

So plan B was to use a yellow spritzer over the die cut. I spritzed, then lifted the die cut and added a bit of brown brusho.


I love this!

I tried again with the other tree design, but the colour bled a bit much and the tree lost definition on one side.

So I cut another tree in white, and when the background dried, I glued it over the top. This also gave me an aperture to use with a brusho background.


But I also had the die cuts I'd spritzed through, which were now glorious yellow. While they were wet I added a bit of brown brusho to them too, and they looked amazing!


At this point I had lots of potential cards to put together, on a theme!

However, my daughter then developed a fever and has been off school, so everything has pretty much gone on hold!

I have finished one card, with the first tree done with the spritzer. The rest will go in the "one day" box to be finished.... who knows!

I stamped a sentiment, first with fossilised amber distress oxide, then with spiced chai stazon (the colours match the tree perfectly!). I offset slightly, using the stamping platform.

I cut to size, edged with brown sharpie, and mounted on a 5x7 card blank.


I'm not sure this has a very Christmassy feel, it's more Autumnal - but I love it!

Obviously this could be done in different colours, and for birthday or other cards - now I've figured out how to do it, it'd be quite quick too.




To share your interpretation of a white, yellow and brown Christmas card, pop over to the 52CCT blog! You have until Friday 17th January to join in.

8 comments:

  1. I love love love your card!!! It came out so pretty!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Netta, took a bit of experimenting but this is the kind of effect I was hoping for!

      Delete
  2. automnale peut ĂȘtre mais superbe et lumineuse, biz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our Christmas was a lot like your card this year as there was no snow. I like the card very much

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andreja, I can't remember the last time we had snow at Christmas, is it usual for you? But I still make lots of cards with snow on!!

      Delete
  4. I adore this card and will be tryin* it as for once I have all the supplies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, do let me see how you get on! It doesn't need much in the way of supplies, this one.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I really appreciate hearing from you, and try to respond to every one.

Lucinda