Pages

Saturday 6 August 2022

Scrappy trees


Valerie takes over as host at the 52 Christmas Card Throwdown this month.

She has designed this sketch for us:


I thought about other ways to use the triangles, but came back to - Trees!

I use two different sized tree dies to cut bases from junk mail, then raided my strip scraps stash for pieces to build up the trees.

The reindeer is an old stamp, coloured with pergaliner watercolour pens and cut out. I printed the sentiment.

My background has a piece of thread looped around for texture - I dipped it in glue, wiped the excess off, then lowered it onto the card. With wax paper over it, I pressed it to adhere. I saw this on a Luisa Heinzl video - she then changed her mind and took the thread off to leave an impression in her gesso, but I liked the effect so have left mine. I brushed distress ink round the edge of the card, then edged the base and the sentiment in dark brown.

As the trees are quite thick due to the layers, I added pieces of card beneath parts of the second tree and sentiment to have them level, then put the reindeer on foam pads.

 


 

 

Neither of the photos show the texture that well, but I'm pleased with how these have come out, the trees are fun!

 

 

 

 

 

Now it's your turn. Visit the 52CCT blog for more inspiration and to enter your our card made with our sketch. The challenge closes on Friday 12th August.

1 comment:

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I really appreciate hearing from you, and try to respond to every one.

Lucinda