Pages

Tuesday 27 October 2015

Acetate foliage Christmas Card



Acetate foliage Christmas card

Acetate foliage Christmas card




















This is a very quick (and last minute) card for the 'Tis the season challenge 53.

The theme was cards inspired by a picture of ice skates, and the aspect that struck me was the fir sprigs in the skates. I've been meaning to try this technique with foliage sprigs on acetate for a while, so this was the perfect opportunity.

I used a fir branch stamp I got in a charity shop, which has proved to be a fantastic find. It's an old school rubber stamp on a wooden block, and stamps a very detailed and crisp image.

I stamped two branches and embossed with Earthtone Olive Wow Powder. I then mixed up a little of the same embossing powder with gold mica powder and made two more branches. I've not mixed up embossing powders before, but it worked really well. I thought I'd been very frugal on the mica powder, but I think I could use less for a greener result and still have the shine.

I cut each of the branches out, not having to be too fussy as the acetate is clear. I cut into two of them to separate the sprigs.

The background was a simple landscape, with two hills inked with a brayer and makeup sponge in a light blue, then I stamped a simple sentiment using the same ink mixed with a darker blue. I added snow with a white pen, but it doesn't really show.

I cut an aperture in olive green card using a X Cut frame die, and put all the pieces together on a 6x6 card.

At this point I thought it needed a little something else, so I cut and embossed a small bow from gold card using a Die-Lectables die and attached it at the bottom.

A quick card to make, but I got to try a new technique or two, and I'm pleased with both of them. Look out for more acetate foliage sprigs on Christmas cards this year!

10 comments:

  1. Love the branches creating a frame! Wonderful detail also, with the bow and embossing!

    Thanks for playing along with us at 'Tis The Season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa, looking forward to the next challenge.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an elegant card, Lucinda! You can make so many great cards with branches like that. :) Glad you were able to try a new technique...that's always fun! Thanks for joining us at 'Tis the Season.
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sara - I can feel a session of branch making coming on - create a stash of different colours and styles.

      Delete
  4. I love the branches! They are lovely! Thanks for playing at Tis the Season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynnea, glad you like them, I think they look really effective and dimensional.

      Delete
  5. What great techniques you used for your card! Thanks for playing at TTS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jayme, thanks for the inspiration to get on with my Christmas cards!!

      Delete
  6. I love the way the pine is coming through the frame! It's a beautiful card!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I really appreciate hearing from you, and try to respond to every one.

Lucinda