Pages

Wednesday 7 October 2015

Fused Glass Light Catcher for 30 years of friendship

Last month, my best friend Susan and I celebrated an anniversary - 30 years since we first met. To mark the occasion, we spent a crafternoon together. (For our 20 year anniversary we had a weekend in Amsterdam; our lives have changed somewhat with the arrival of three little 'uns between us in the intervening decade!)

We went to ArtShed in Ware, for a Glass Fusion workshop with Lynn. ArtShed run a number of different courses, short and long, and the shop turned out to be a veritable treasure trove - everywhere I looked there was something else that I would love to have in my home.

We started with demos and a bit of practice at cutting glass into strips, squares, curves and circles, then we were set loose on our sun catchers. I went for a bright, abstract design. After playing safe with straight lines at first, I struck out into some circles and curves as I gained a bit more confidence - you can see the change as I worked from top to bottom. We also tried small jewellery pieces - I made a pendant.

Our glued designs stayed behind to dry then be fired in the kiln, and Susan picked them up a couple of weeks later. I finally saw her this week and got my finish pieces back, and here they are! 

Lucinda's sun catcher


Lucinda's fused glass pendant

Not a lot of sun today for this to catch, but nevertheless I think it looks good with natural light behind it.

Lucinda's fused glass sun catcher outside

They're not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but for a first try I think they're very pleasing, the sun catcher has gone up in the dining room window and I need to find a chain for the pendant. More to the point, we had a really enjoyable, fun afternoon - and here's to the next 30 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I really appreciate hearing from you, and try to respond to every one.

Lucinda